MedEx in the Pharmacy
MedEx is a real-time medication tracking software system. It provides pharmacy and nursing the visibility and control needed to efficiently and safely manage the medication delivery process – something pharmacy systems can’t do today. Click the video to learn about it!
Customized Tracking Solutions
Hospitals are under pressure to monitor the delivery of medication orders from order verification to final hand-off – including location, time, and person receiving the medications. This chain-of-custody process is currently time consuming, paper-intensive, and does not provide the real-time accountability that is required in an ever increasing regulatory environment. MedEx
is the first comprehensive system to address this problem.
- Eliminates time wasted tracking and re-filling missing doses
- Nursing can track medications for their units without calling the pharmacy
- Provides ability to monitor staff productivity and overall throughput within the pharmacy
- Available NDC safety check during the order preparation stage
- Historical order preparation and delivery record maintained for liability purposes
- Notifies the pharmacy when an order is behind schedule via an Alert Center
- Phone and texting capability on handheld scanners for communicating with technicians making deliveries
Improved Efficiency and Compliance
Customized to your facility’s specific needs and resources, MedEx utilizes some or all of the following to monitor deliveries and track them by location, time and person handling/receiving the item:
- Existing barcode labeling
- Passive RFID identifiers
- Biometrics ID
- Remote monitoring software
- RFID enabled nurse servers
- Optional mobile robots (TUGs) with secure delivery carts
Centralized or Decentralized: Works with All Pharmacy Distribution Models
The MedEx solution enhances every hospital pharmacy design because it tracks the delivery and receipt of all types of medications across all types of distribution methods and inventory storage systems: from the most common (pneumatic tube systems), to the most sophisticated (robotics and unit-based cabinets), to the most basic (hand deliveries).
Whether the pharmacy is centralized or decentralized, and uses all or some of the above approaches, MedEx provides a complete solution to address the issues of late, missing and divergent deliveries.
pharmacies, MedEx ensures the timely and traceable delivery of high-value items such as IVs, ad hoc orders, and provides additional security for the delivery of narcotics to the unit-based cabinets. For centralized
pharmacies, MedEx also provides a reliable process for the on-time delivery of first doses.
A dashboard is the source for real-time information to help manage productivity and throughput of deliveries. Early warning alerts to outliers and a wide range of reporting capabilities provide longer term insight to optimizing processes.
Locating Dispensed Inventory
With MedEx, pharmacy and nursing staff know where medications are even after they leave the pharmacy. The system is fully integrated so an item can be located whether it’s in transit via pneumatic tube, a technician’s hand or automated TUG delivery, or being stored in a refrigerator, lock box, automated dispensing cabinet, supply closet or nurse server.
Medication searches are done using any hospital networked PC, handheld scanner, or iPhone, iPad, iPod running the Aethon App available from the Apple App store.